You know that you can use your Apple ID to access iTunes, iCloud and the app store, but what happens when you forget it? In case all of a sudden you cannot remember your Apple ID password, then unfortunately you are not left with too many options because you will be required to reset the password.
Luckily, it is not very difficult to reset the Apple ID password. You can reset it using the web browser on your Mac computer or directly from your iPhone or iPad. And if you do not want to go all the way and reset it, then you can always try to recover it first.
Instructions to recover Apple ID password via email or security question
In case you cannot remember your Apple ID password you can ask for reset instructions directly from Apple. In case you have a recovery email registered as well a secondary account that is set and verified, then the reset instructions will be emailed right to you. And if you have set a security question, then you can reset to Remove iCloud Lock on the web.
- Open Safari on your iDevice
- In the address bar write http://iforgot.apple.com
- Press on Enter your Apple ID. The recovery procedure will now begin
- You will be prompted to enter your Apple ID.
- Once you have written the Apple ID press Next
- Now select Reset by Email so Apple can send you reset instructions to your verified recovery email address (this is different than the Apple ID email)
- If you have security question select Answer Security questions to reset the password directly on the website
Note, if you are using security question method, ensure that they are not simple words that are easily guessable. It’s better to enter random characters and later to note them down in your password manager.
Instructions for Apple ID recovery via Two step verification
The old two step verification method of Apple is still working so if you decide to use it, here is how you can recover your Apple ID password.
- Open Safari on your device
- In the search bar write http://iforgot.apple.com.
- Write your Apple ID to start with the recovery procedure
- Now enter the recovery key
- Press Next
- Select your recovery device (ensure that you have one available)
- Press Next
- Once you receive the verification code, enter it
- Press Next
It is possible to create a new password which you can store to your password manager so you won’t need to recover it again.
Instructions to recover Apple ID password via two-factor verification
Apple is steadily introducing the new two factory authentication system that does not feature a recovery key. For the time being we still do not have prepared a step by step instructions guide and will add it as soon as we have it available.
Recover your Apple ID easily
In case you cannot remember the email or the username you have set for your Apple ID, then you can try to recover them from Apple too:
- Start Safari browser
- In the search bar enter http://iforgot.apple.com.
- Select Forgot Apple ID.
- Write down your First and Last name as well as the email address in the required fields
- Type any other email address that you may have used before
- Press Next.
- Now press on reset by Email so Apple can send you reset instructions to your registered recovery email address (note that this is different than the Apple ID address)
- If you have set security question then press on Answer Security Questions so you can reset the password directly on the website.
Apple in this way will try to find any Apple ID that is connected with your email address and allow you to recover the forgotten password either via email or by answering a security question.